Thursday, October 13, 2011

John Hilliard

John Hilliard, writer and artist of Eugene, is our guest today at the Hellbound 2 blog.
  • John, what do you find scarier: thunderstorms, roller coasters, or clowns?I don’t know. But what would be epic? A clown riding a roller coaster during a thunderstorm. Holy shit! Seriously, though, fuck clowns.
  • Amen to that. What is your favorite type of horror?
    Glowing vampires that are emo and flirt with teenagers are the best ever. I love that. For serious. OH AND THEY GLOW!!!
  • As a writer and artist, what inspired you to create this story?
    Mostly because it was fun working on something different. I’m not a horror fan, so I watched some really terrible 1960s-ish vampire flicks to get a feel of what has been done and tried to put my own spin on it. Also, it was fun to give Waltham some much-deserved love.
  • What storytelling medium do you think serves horror best?
    I imagine horror poetry being an uphill battle.
  • What is your favorite horror story and why?
  • Mike Mignola’s Hellboy has always been a lot of fun, it’s visually strong and it has good writing that can be quite funny. Bill Watterson’s Calvin & Hobbes had a weeks-long story about murderous snowmen, as I recall. Murderous snowmen! Those were great strips! I heard Watterson writes, illustrates, and shreds a new 'Calvin and Hobbes' strip each morning out of spite. But I digress.
  • What was your first exposure to horror?
    Eight years of George W. Bush.
  • What do you like best and least about the horror genre?
    I’m not a big gore fan, but I do like things that can be scary because of mood, character, atmosphere, etc.
  • What’s your horror guilty pleasure?That episode of Star Trek where they fight a cloud of fog that drinks blood. The fog is described as smelling like honey.
  • Who do you consider a master of horror?I’m not an expert, but Guillermo Del Toro has always managed to pull off creepy while telling a good story.
  • Is there anything you want the readers to know about your story?
    I tried to make it as not-as-bad as possible.
    Words to live by.
  • Finally, are clowns ever funny?                                                                                            
    "Can’t sleep. Clown will eat me…”
Truer words have never been uttered. Thanks for you story and your time, John.

No comments: