Saturday, October 20, 2012

James the Vampire



Nikolaus Janos Khoulasci AKA James the Vampire, made a name for himself as a member of the Lenin Boys, enforcing in the name of Hungary's brief Soviet Republic.  He was executed in reprisal for his crimes during the Hungarian White Terror of 1921.  Since his death he has dedicated himself to art, being relieved of morality.
Follow James the Vampire here: jamesthevampire.blogspot.com

What inspired “Disappeared Volunteer”? Have you done any volunteer work? Is this story autobiographical?

My work is never autobiographical. Nothing is less interesting to me than our mundane lives. But, the situation of politics in the particular is a definite interest throughout my work.

What are some of your favorite horror stories? (And they don’t have to be limited to comic books.)

Picking particular works is difficult.  I see horror as consisting in two areas, the unknown, and moral transgression. To that end, I would probably pick something by David Lynch, either Mulholland Drive or Inland Empire.

Who are some of your comic book influences?

Hernandez Bros, George Gross, Hirohiko Araki, Suehiro Maruo, CLAMP

Explain to Hellbound readers your creative process. Was the story written independently and before the art or did both develop together?

My creative process is not divided into planning/executing. Sometimes I will have a complete vision and notes to work from ahead of time. Usually, though, I begin from a general idea, or ideas, and let the work develop on its own. I never write scripts. I never do concept sketches. Creation and production are one and the same for me.

What did you find most challenging about this story?

Maintaining the balance between ambiguity (the unknown is the real realm of the terrifying) and coherence, or readability. 

Artistically, was there anything you were hoping to achieve?

Yes, I was hoping to achieve a more consistent look in terms of the visuals, and in many ways, I met that goal.

Are you happy with the results?
Very.

Thank you, James.

No comments: