Thursday, October 27, 2011

Gregery Miller

Today we talk with Gregery Miller, writer and artist of the Hellbound 2 story Nostalgia.

Hi Gregery, thanks for taking the time to meet with us.
First question, what are scarier, thunderstorms, roller coasters, or clowns?

I'd say roller coasters are scariest, something about being strapped into a giant machine with no control over myself... I can run from clowns, or hide from a thunderstorm. Plus clowns are storms are cooler.

What is your favorite type of horror?

I love zombies. I like creepy, dark stuff and monsters. And I like the idea of the world being up for grabs and the adrenaline of survival. I also love dark fantasy stuff like Pan's Labyrinth.

What inspired you to write this story?

My story is not only a horror but a fantasy for me. I always wanted to transform into crazy creatures of my imagination as a kid. But everything comes at a price.

Was there something you were hoping to accomplish artistically in your story?

I've been working with this flower character for years, and was never sure how to illustrate his origin until this project came up.

What storytelling medium do you think serves horror best?

I like movies the best. If I could, I'd be creating comics and characters designs as concepts and storyboards for film. I think the big screen is most shocking. But then again, reading a horror novel during a thunderstorm, in the dark, in the country-side, is really pretty frightening too. You're imagination can really run away with you.

What is your favorite horror story and why?

I don't know if I have a favorite. I like certain parts of many horror stories. I take from different stories what I can for inspiration.

What was your first exposure to horror?

When I was a little kid my dad watched this horror soap opera called Dark Shadows. It's so hoaky to watch now but I love it. It definitely scared the heck out of me as a kid, gave me nightmares, and was an early inspiration of mine.

What do you like best and least about the horror genre?

What I like least about horror is the over use of blood and regurgitating the same scenarios, characters, and stories over and over. I feel like, especially with movies, the over usage of violence, blood, and gore doesn't enhance the horror but hinders it. It's a crutch because everyone knows those things are scary to people, it's the easy way out to me. What I like best is considering the possibility of the unknown. We as humans think we have control over so much, we have power. But in horror, the unknown comes out and the American dream of power and freedom falls apart.

What’s your horror guilty pleasure?

Anything with crypto creatures, like Bigfoot, aliens, or any other unknown creature that may or may not exist.

Who do you consider a master of horror?

H.P. Lovecraft for sure.

Is there anything you want the readers to know about your story?

There's a lot more to come. I have a whole world of characters and stories and this is just a glimpse of it.

Excellent, we look forward to it.

Finally, we begin with clowns, we end with them. Are clowns ever funny?

Yes, I think so.

But you not sure, are you? Wise man, Gregery, wise man.
Thanks for your story and taking the time to visit with the Hellbound 2 blog.

No comments: