Friday, September 30, 2011

Clay McCormack

Today we talk with Clay McCormack, artist and writer of the Breath of Life.
  • Clay, what are scarier: thunderstorms, roller coasters, or clowns?I'd have to say clowns.
  • Do you have a favorite type of horror?Hmm...Tough question--I'd say out of that list my LEAST favorite is serial killer...but as for favorite, I really go for anything with a supernatural angle to it--ghosts, monsters, vampires, demons, etc… But that being said, I DO love me some zombies.
  • As the writer, what inspired you to write this story?I'm a big H.P. Lovecraft fan, and I've always wanted to try and tell a comic story that had the vibe of a Lovecraft tale.
  • Since you’re the artist too, tell us about what you were hoping to accomplish you’re the Breath of Life.I wanted to play around with my style a bit, and create a mood that really went along with the writing
  • What storytelling medium do you think serves horror best?I think it really depends on the story--there's a reason it's hard to translate something like Lovecraft to a visual medium, as it's so dependent on what the reader's imagination brings to the story--but I'd say overall probably film. Going to the theater adds such a big level to the creepiness--being out of the safety of your house and in a big dark room surrounded by strangers--that I think it probably wins.
  • Tell us about your favorite horror story and why.There's an Italian movie called Black Sabbath that features three horror shorts, and the last one is called "The Drop of Water." I recommend everyone seek it out and watch it--it's one of the scariest/creepiest things I've ever seen.
  • Do you recall your first exposure to horror?Recently I think I managed to pin point the three things that paved the way for my interest in horror: Ghostbusters, The Monster Squad, and Disney's DTV: Monster Hits!--and I've been hooked every since. I actually have a great story in which during a parent/teacher conference in the 5th grade, my teacher, in full on authentic Van Helsing European accent, asked my mother "What is this fascination with the supernatural?"
  • What do you like best and least about the horror genre?My favorite thing about horror is that when it's done right, hours after you get home from the theater, or put down the book, or finish the story, there's still a part of you that wants to keep the light on when you go to bed--that's a visceral power that I don't think any other genre really has.
    My least favorite thing about horror is that it's generally disrespected and scoffed at as a legitimate genre.
  • What’s your horror guilty pleasure?So many! I think my definite go-to horror guilty pleasures are the British Hammer horror movies of the 50's, 60's and 70's. Not always the "best" movies, but they are definitely a fun time!
  • Who do you consider a master of horror?Hmm...to pull one out who might not be obvious, I'd say David Cronenberg. His movies are consistently eerie in a very deep-rooted way, and he's probably the most consistent of directors in the horror genre.
  • Is there anything you want the readers to know about your story?Just that it was a lot of fun to play around in a slightly different style than I'm used to, and I hope they enjoy it!
  • Are clowns ever funny?Only from a distance.
Clay, I couldn't agree with your more. Thanks a lot for the Breath of Life and taking the time to talk with the us.

    No comments: